Re: md5sums and verifying package contents

Previously Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> My personal feeling is that the usefulness of md5sums is greatly reduced
> by the fact that one cannot depend on them. Simply reporting wishlist
> bugs against hundreds of packages seems like the "wrong" solution - if
> we decide we want this, I reckon it should go into policy?

Wait for dpkg 1.10 or 1.11 which will make this whole debate obsolete.
If you are interested in the full discussions on this browse the
debian-devel and debian-dpkg archives, we've had this discussion way
too often already.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |