Re: Fonts working "out of the box"

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, David Starner wrote:

> My locale is en_US.UTF-8, Tomohiro KUBOTA probably runs a ja_JP.EUC-JP
> locale most of the time, and I'm guessing you use de_DE.ISO-8859-1.
> bad idea - don't use debconf to set up user options (Debian is
> a multi-user OS), use debconf to set up system options.
Uhm, yes.  I see your point (as I said I´m no font expert).

Anyway I feel that we have to make life easier for Debian users to
get acceptable fonts.  We can not put the load on each single
administrators/users back.  If people have to spend several days to find
out the font they like and how to get the program working with it
they can certainly cope with some other operating system even if
it sometimes crash.  The time to reboot from time to time is smaller
than to read instructions how to change fonts and find the right one
(if existing).

To stop this thread here (at least for my part):  Yes I know that this
is a problem and it is discussed several times.  If you think you
have to flame me because I have no solution but can´t keep my mouth
silent - feel free to do so.

Kind regards

       Andreas.