Re: RedHat Compatibility

    Ben> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:07:50AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch
    Ben> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I just want to point out a problem, you are faced with when
    >> running Debian in a commercial environment.
    >>
    >> Debian needs to be redhat binary compatible.

    Ben> No, RedHat needs to be compatible with everyone else. We
    Ben> aren't going to spend precious time trying to keep up with
    Ben> compatibility issues that they introduce.

It seems sort of silly to say in Debian what people are or are not
going to spend their time doing.  If running comercial software is
important to someone and that person either does the work of making it
work on Debian themselves or manages to convince others to do it for
them, then I believe they have acted reasonably.

Personally I think it would be great if we dealt with some of the
smaller compatibility issues, like packaging up the libc++ versions
that RH uses.  I'm not pushing for it because I don't have time myself
and I don't have money to pay someone.  But it seems that Debian is
mostly a community of people working on what they find
interesting/necessary.  If compatability is what you care about, why
shouldn't you work on Redhat compatability?