Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On Aug 07, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

 >	HELP: I notice that /etc/news/leafnode/config and even /etc/news
 >	      are here owned by news.news. Which is odd, because those
 >	      arn't things the programs should be editing on the fly. What
 >	      gives?
The package is buggy.

 >uucp:
 >
 >	HELP: Presumably used for UUCP, which I know nothing of.
The uucp subsystem needs its own user and group.

 >	HELP: Why is minicom owned by group uucp? Is this a bug?
Yes, it's a bug. Debian does not use group uucp to deal with serial port
since a very long time, maybe never did.

 >majordom:
 >
 >	Majordomo has a statically allocated uid on Debian systems for
 >	historical reasons.
 >
 >	HELP: Do we still even ship that buggy old POS? And can someone
No. This is why I repeatedly requested the base-passwd maintainer to
remove this user.
Same thing for the msql user.

 >fax:
 >voice:
They may be used by mgetty/sendfax.

 >dip:
 >
 >	HELP: WHat did this group's name signify? DIaluP?
dip is a program used to manage SLIP connections.

I support any effort to reduce the number of users created by default.
Even if e.g. gnats needs a statically assigned user, it should be
created when the package is installed, not by base-passwd.

--
ciao,
Marco