Re: Debian & Sound Cards

On Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:09:17 +1200, D. wrote:

> Hi.
>
> This may be an often asked question, but I will ask it anyway.
> I was wondering if Debian has plans to implement a user-friendly
> application to configure sound cards.=20
>
> For example, I use a SoundBlaster Awe64 pnp card and although
> I narrowly managed to setup my /etc/isapnp.conf and add "sb" to
> my /etc/modules. For a newbie, this was a nightmare task, and
> even though I can get sound through my speakers now, certain
> apps like esound and gnome make a nice distortion sound instead
> of playing wav files, and I get a nice IRQ7 error in my dmesg. No sign
> of MIDI either.
>
> Other dists have a sound configure app. Will Debian be implementing
> a similar app that will also set up things like Plug N Play, MIDI, =
> Esound,
> necessary /dev permissions?
>
> You guys are doing an AWESOME job! I love my Debian system! Thanks!
> D.Radel.

Try the package sndconfig.  I have an older sb card and sndconfig works
well on my machine.

Also, please post text-only mails to this list.  Most here use text based
readers, and the added HTML is just an extra load on slow connections.

-ptw

--
  Paul T Wright <paul@cvanet.com>

   And, strange to tell, among the Earthen Lot
   Some could articulate, while others not:
      And suddenly one more impatient cried --
   "Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"

            -- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam --