Re: serious libtool 1.4 breakage?

    >> It seems that libtool 1.4 is seriously broken with respect to creating
    >> Debian packages, as per bug #98342.
    >>
    >> In short, problems occur because libtool now supports interdependencies
    >> between shared libraries, but this is broken when doing a
    >>
    >> make install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr

    KUSANO> I've encountered same problem when building gtk+ HEAD .deb from GNOME
    KUSANO> CVS, so I modified /usr/share/libtool/ltmain.sh like this:

    KUSANO> --- ltmain.sh.orig	Fri May 11 05:34:59 2001
    KUSANO> +++ ltmain.sh	Thu May 31 02:14:09 2001
    KUSANO> @@ -1862,6 +1862,7 @@
    KUSANO> else
    KUSANO> # We cannot seem to hardcode it, guess we'll fake it.
    KUSANO> add_dir="-L$libdir"
    KUSANO> +	      test -d $ladir/.libs && add_dir="$add_dir -L$ladir/.libs"
    KUSANO> add="-l$name"
    KUSANO> fi

    KUSANO> I'm not sure this is the right solution for this problem, but it
    KUSANO> works fine in my environment.

Thanks for this. Will try it with Heimdal ASAP.

One possible trouble point: if the library happens to be installed in
/usr/lib, which version will get used? Will it use the library in
$ladir/.libs/, or /usr/lib/?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>