Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

Hi Craig,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 05:19:12PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> > I won't go below that as an SMP kernel is always required,
>
> no it's not.
>
> anyone running SMP ought to have enough of a clue to compile their own
> kernel.

This is the point where I disagree. I really hate having to build my
own kernel just to do some tests with a fresh installation. I think
the standard kernel should support SMP. I don't know if it causes
any problems with UP machines though...

Basically I would like to have all machines supported by one kernel image.
I don't care for the 10% (I guess this value is way to high) the
optimization for better CPUs would buy but I certainly want to have my
second processor working as well.

And, lastly: Most of the time my processors are running in user mode
especially when doing computing (read: cpu) intensive tasks. For web
serving and the like the CPU load is quite low most of the time.
Herbert, can you please tell me how much impact does the 10%
optimization on my 2% system load do for me?

Thanks

	Torsten