Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > > Absolutely definitely not. Userland is different from kernelspace,
> > > and headers need not match at all. Feel free to search debian-devel
> > > or linux-kernel archives where that has been discussed way too
> > > often already.
> >
> > Kernel modules exist in kernelspace, not userland. Building them against
> > any other headers than those used by glibc does nothing to improve the
> > stability or usefulness of Debian.
>
> Ah, self-contradictory statement.
>
> A kernel-module must be built with the EXACT SAME environment as the kernel
> being run.  This means they need an EXACT match of headers.  The ones that are
> included with glibc are generic, and will NEVER match the running kernel(even
> across kernel versions, let alone flavors).
>
> Dale, get a clue about kernel module building.  You are completely wrong on
> this.

You're right, I'm an idiot. I have no idea what I was thinking...

I also don't know why I got diverted from the issue of bloat. The idea of
"flavours" seems to go beyond the version connectedness required by kernel
drivers. We have always delivered a kernel-header package for each version
of the kernel that we deliver. What is there about the modules problem
that suggests there should be even more flavours? The difference in
architectures is a simple symlink to the proper asm routines. What else
needs to be "tailored" that can't be handled in postinst.

The last thing we need in this distribution is more packages...

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-