Re: kernel-{image,headers} package bloat

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 09:33:52PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 08:45:11PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 08:20:43PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > >
> > > FUD.  Show me what's actually broken.
> >
> > Mirrors. Slow. Out-of-sync.
>
> It's still FUD until you produce the evidence that it's caused by the kernel
> images.

I never said "caused". I said that the kernel mirrors were only excaberating
a problem. Stop being a nit-picking smartarse and dodging my questions.

> > > Prove that it is caused by the kernel images and I'll get rid of them.
> >
> > So, are you trying to tell me, that the extra ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MEGABYTES,
> > is HELPING?!?
>
> That's not what you were claiming though.  You said:
>
> > The thing is, by including all these headers, you're helping break stuff for
> > everyone. But you're also helping a small percentage of people who don't

How the bloody hell is this a contradiction?

This is NOT. A. CONTRADICTION.

Let me be entirely clear on this.
ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MEGABYTES PER KERNEL RELEASE DOES NOT HELP MIRRORS WHICH HAVE
OUT OF SYNC PACKAGES FILES AND ACTUAL PACKAGES HALF THE TIME.

So far, you have yet to prove me wrong.

Show me HOW the HELL an extra 110meg HELPS these poor, generally crippled,
mirrors (btw, ftp.au.d.o is now fixed, probably just took a while to snarf
all those kernel-* packages), and I will STFU. Until then, you've been
dodging my question. ANSWER IT.

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer