Re: configuring xf4, was Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> OK, this doesn't quite work, and nothing is set because of it. When I
> execute this command, I walk through several screens until I get to
> "select your desired default color depth" and enter 24 bit, the script
> dies with the following:
>
>         (in cleanup) Can't call method "close" on an undefined value at
> /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/ConfModule.pm line 476 during global
> destruction.
> dwarf:~#

You might want to try updating your debconf/perl/dpkg/apt combination
and running this again.  In fact, as a defensive mechanism (because
I've been using debconf since it's earlier and shakier days :>), I
tend to always

  apt-get update dpkg debconf apt

before running dselect, or other upgrades.

If that doesn't help, then...

> If I answer No to the virtual screens question, the default screen
> is sized to fit in the physical screen, but the mouse pointer thinks
> the screen is larger, and still virtual, as the pointer doesn't
> activate what it points to, but instead activates something higher
> on the screen, depending upon where you are on the screen. This is,
> to say the least, not useful either.

If you're this close, it might be worth trying to just hand-edit the
config file.  Alternately, if you post it (or send it to me), I'll
compare it to mine and see if I see anything obviously off.

> How do I recover my previous position? I've got the correct config files
> in place. What did I forget?

Make sure your /etc/X11/XF86Config file is the same as it was before.
That's the one that the svga server still uses.