Re: Sources vs Packages files

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:41:12AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > In short becasue udebs dont have docs, they have been rejected from the
> > main archive.
> >
> > The whole reason udebs exist is because the new installer is going to be
> > a bit like a mini-distribution, it uses packages for the same benefits
> > that the main debian distribution does.
>
> Can I conclude that you agree with me that there should be either also be
> a seperate source repository (in fact, a different "distribution" tree for
> the installer), or alternatively a change in policy to allow the udebs in
> the main archive?
>
> Either solution would be fine for me. But it would be important to have a
> decision rather sooner than later, as either this or a work around is needed
> to make the autobuilder pick the udebs binaries up (at least for turtle).

The idea for udebs belongs to Joeyh, it was a workaround to just get
udebs in somewhere as they were banned from main.

I havent used autobuilders/turtle, so im not aware of the problems that
you encounter.

If installer packages arent allowed in main, then it doesnt make any
difference to me where they are are stored, as long as they are stored
somewhere and will be mirrored.

Joeyh might have stronger thoughts on this issue im CC'ing him.

Glenn