Re: Debian X package shouldn't install XDM by default

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 05:03:50PM -0500, Rahul Jain wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 12:00:02AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > Feel free to file a bug against tasksel, but please look at it again (hint:
> > you don't need to reinstall for that :).
>
> If you're a newbie and you screw up the XFree config, you may not know about
> single user mode, so you'd have to reinstall until you got the config right.
> (xdm sometimes makes the system completely unusable except remotely if the X
> server does not start properly.) I strongly agree that xdm SHOULD NOT be
> installed with the task-x-window-system package, or should not be enabled in
> the init system by default (maybe a debconf question, like in ipmasq?)
I'm pretty sure that gdm attempts to start X a certain number of times before
quitting, I'm not so sure if xdm has this functionality.  It would be
a useful feature.  Also an X configuration should be tested out separate of
xdm, while configuring.  A debconf question sounds good though, how about one
that lets you specify which run levels xdm will be installed for?

Matthew Danish