Re: ITP: metis -- Software package for partitioning unstructured graphs

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 04:22:10AM +0300, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
>  * Non-commercial applications
>    METIS can be freely distributed provided that:
>     o Proper references are included.
>     o The original documentation and copyright notice is
>       included.
>  * Commercial applications
>     METIS can be freely distributed provided that:
>     o Proper references are included.
>     o The original documentation and copyright notice is
>       included.
>     o METIS is a relatively small portion of the overall
>       application.
>
> In either case, permission to distribute/include METIS with your
> application must be obtained by sending email to
> metis@cs.umn.edu.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> I think this qualifies the program as non-free, but this is a
> very important software package and it would supposedly be okay
> if I get a proper permission from George Karypis.

Why is it very important?

It should be OK if you obtain permission. It is non-DFSG-compliant
because any permission you obtain would apply only to Debian,
and because of the limitations on commercial distribution. It
also doesn't say anything about modifications.

> PS: I'm not subscribed to debian-devel, please retain the Cc:

Then subscribe, or set Mail-Followup-To. By the way, please don't
send messages to both debian-devel and submit@bugs directly -- mail
submit@bugs and add an X-Debbugs-CC: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
header.

Hamish