Re: Woody Freeze Plans - Progress Report

    Junichi> Usually you do an chroot install, and export that to the
    Junichi> clients.  Not installing onto a NFS partition.

I would imagine that there could be certain advantages doing it via
NFS instead of on the NFS system. For instance, you could use dpkg to
install packages, but have certain directories (eg /usr) mounted from
different places.

With nfs mounts though, it becomes easy to mount / from server:/nfsroot
and /usr from server:/usr for instance. And dpkg doesn't know any different.

With chroot environment though, AFAIK it is not possible to access
/usr from within the /usr chroot jail (unless Linux 2.4.x changes
this).

Of course, this brings up other issues that are beyond the scope of
this thread, but hopefully you will get the idea I am trying to bring
forward.

    Junichi> For a very good discussion around this kind of thing, see
    Junichi> any Beowulf related archive.

Where would I find this?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>