Re: depricating libgmp2

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 09:00:51AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Libgmp2 is basicly a rotting pile of junk. There is no upstream
> maintainer, and any actual bugs found there are all fixed in the new,
> maintained, libgmp3.
>
> I'm getting tired of having to drag this lump along every time I make a
> policy driven change to libgmp3. (see current bugs on libgmp2)
>
> I don't know of a single package that requires libgmp2 over libgmp3, and
> the current packaging allows only one -dev package, so the transition is
> seamless to the dependent packages.
>
> If there is someone out there who just has to have this package, I would
> love it if you would take over the package. Otherwise I'm ready to retire
> this package.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason I should NOT remove libgmp2?

I converted the yacas package from depending on libgmp2 to libgmp3,
and forwarded changes upstream a month or two ago. The changes were
minimal and migration was easy. BTW only a handful of packages remain
in main that depend on libgmp2:

gopal@auric:/org/ftp.debian.org/ftp/dists/woody/main/binary-i386$grep-dctrl -F Depends -spackage,maintainer libgmp2 Packages

package: c2hs
maintainer: Michael Weber <michaelw@debian.org>