Re: Woody Freeze Plans - Progress Report

Anthony Towns wrote:
> In short: there hasn't been any, go help Adam and David with
> boot-floppies.

And spawned a singularly unless thread, and, as far as I can see, no
offers of help. I get the feeling many of you are not up to speed on
how the debian installation system works or how you can help fix it
so we can release. There's a steep learning curve indeed; and all I can
offer is a meager leg up.

Here's how to check the boot-floppies out of CVS:

http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/README-CVS?rev=1.9

There's the todo list (which is probably quite incomplete, as TODO lists
have a way of being):

http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/todo?rev=1.70

I'm sure you all know where the debian-boot mailing list is and how
to subscribe.

The README in cvs will get you started with building the system. Don't
expect much polish (but it's a hell of a lot better than it was last
year). Here's the first build failure I ran into:

  gcc -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -pipe -I.   -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-builtin -DBUILDTIME='"2001.04.07-23:58+0000"' -DARCHNAME='"i386"' -DKERNEL_VERSION_CODE=144179 -DKVER='"2.2.19pre17"' -c -o build/extract_kernel.to build/extract_kernel.t.c
  pointerize -m po/C.mo < floppy_merge.c >> build/floppy_merge.t.c
  String "Some important data was not read from the floppy disks. You should
  resolve this problem and re-install using valid floppy disks. If you
  are installing from a CD-ROM, there are floppy-disk "image" files on
  the CD, which you can write to a blank floppy using DOS, Windows, OS/2,
  Unix or Linux. They should be in a directory on the CD called "dos"
  or "disks".

  Other things to try if you just can't get the floppies to install are
  reformatting the floppies before writing them, and writing them using
  a different system. Also, if you got the "image" files from a BBS or
  Internet system and they are not working, download them again, and make
  sure to use "binary" mode. If you are writing the floppies from Unix
  or Linux, be sure to run the "sync" command before you remove each
  floppy disk from the drive.
  " not found.
  make[3]: *** [build/floppy_merge.t.c] Error 255

I have never touched that bit of code before, but like many people on this
list, I am used to maintaining code that I do not yet fully understand, and
it was easy enough to look at the cvs logs, guess why it broke, and come up
with a fix. Can someone find and fix the next build problem?

Of course, getting the thing to build is only the first step -- once it
builds you need to test it. This requires only a machine with 128 mb swap
partition and a floppy drive; install to the swap partition..

--
see shy jo