Re: Generic maintainer email address

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.infodrom.north.de> writes:
>
> > Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder if there is a generic email address for an Debian package,
> > > sth. like that courier@packages.debian.org, so one get hand out
> > > an address to upstream that's get not change in case of a
> > > new maintainer.
> >
> > Umh... *cough*  It's there for some four years now...
>
> Umh... *cough* It seems not to be prominently documented
> where a Debian greenhorn would poke its nose on
> (excuse me if I'm wrong).
>
> I suggest to add to the debian developer's reference,
> 3.4. Coordination With Upstream Developers.

Umh, now it gets nasty, I and somebody else, were in simple-parse-mode,
and at least I responded wrong to read keywords...  That's the address
to reach the Debian maintainer, not the upstream maintainer.

Providing such a generic address for upstream addresses is difficult because:

 . additional data needs to be maintainer, looks faulty
 . distinguish between upstream user list, devel list, core list, personal addresses
 . upstream may not be quite interested in just another address

Location of upstream should be possible through
/usr/share/doc/<pkg>/copyright where a mail addr or a website should
be listed.

Regards,

	Joey

--
No question is too silly to ask, but, of course, some are too silly
to answer.   -- Perl book