Re: RFC: new update-inetd

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Manfred Wassmann wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, John Galt wrote:

>> >Well telnetd should be loverd. Just my opinion though. I never use
>> >it on any system personally.
>>
>> But it's replacement (ssh) is not capable of being priority standard in
>> main.
>
>Ssh is a replacement for rsh not telnet. Telnet-ssl is.

And what difference does this make?  telnetd-ssl is still NOT IN MAIN!  It
is also in non-US/main, so you gain nothing except for the one nit you
just picked.

>1) Telnet can be used to test various services like in
>$ telnet localhost 80
>
>if you try that with ssh you get:
>$ ssh localhost 80
>manolo@localhost's password:
>bash: 80: command not found

RTFM

    -p port
             Port to connect to on the remote host.  This can be specified on
             a per-host basis in the configuration file.

Just because you can't get it right doesn't mean it can't do it...

>2) The ssh escape character is ~ like rsh's and it works only at the
>beginning of a line. But telnet(-ssl) uses ^] and you can use it anywhere.

- --
The Internet must be a medium for it is neither Rare nor Well done!