Re: [RFC] apt-localepurge - automagically removing unnecessary locale files

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 02:07:54AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
>  I've seen this being proposed all the time, but... would be adviseable to
> have such a feature? I mean, giving the end user the power to remove files
> from packages by using regex?
>
>  Wouldn't it be more logical to have some way to tag files, and dpkg would
> remove files that contain (or lacks) a tag.
>
>  E.g.:
>
> Package: supergame
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/supergame.tags:
> /usr/lib/supergame/logo.fr.gif		locale-fr
> /usr/lib/supergame/logo.es.gif		locale-es

In an actual package, of course, these should go in /usr/share,
as /usr/share is for architecture-independent files (like gifs) and
/usr/lib is for libraries and internal binaries.

> /usr/share/locale/fr/supergame.mo	locale-fr
> /usr/share/locale/es/supergame.mo	locale-es
> /usr/share/doc/supergame/manual/.*	documentation

Okay. A classic example is letting the /usr/share data be shared
among different computers running Debian on different architectures.
You can't do that in this example. Either you add a specific tag, or
you make /usr/share an exception. But then you have someone who
wants to share /usr among different computers. So you add a specific
tag, or you make /usr an exception. And then you find someone else
with another special need.

Tags is not a bad idea; it would be nice to be able to pick up all
the locale data spread over the disk this way. But I don't think
it's exclusive with letting the users exclude files, and I find the
raw power of user-exclusion to be more attractive than fixing up
4000 packages for a less flexible (albeit more user-friendly)
result.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and