[Fwd: How do I get Japanese to print?]

Americanism: "Yankee Doodle do or die"

Sometimes, however, *I* think it is better to do nothing and just be.
If you push yourself to *do* always, then you may end up doing something
that will harm you, due to lack of meditation, silence, forethought.

The right action will eventually arise on its own if left undisturbed.
--- Begin Message ---
Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:

> At Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:51:52 -0600,
> Brock wrote:
>
> > I have Japanese support working, to display in Netscape.
>
> Do you use netscape-ja-resource-* ?

I don't know what that is.

> Otherwise, some page crash netscape because of netscape's bug.
>
> > But when I print a page from the browser, it does not print the Characters, but
> > instead funny looking things.
> >
> > How do I get this to work?
>
> AFAIK, netscape prints page using postscript, so you need postscript printer
> with Japanese fonts.

I have a HP Deskjet 660C and use magicfilter to convert things into PCL.
I believe postscript files go through magicfilter, which then hands it to
ghostscript to convert to PCL. This is about all I know.

> netscape uses Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H font for Japanese text.

My netscape is set to use the following Japanese Fonts:

For encoding: Japanese (jis x0201)
Variable Width Font: Fixed (Sony) Size 23.0 Allow Scaling
Fixed Width Font:    Fixed (Sony) Size 23.0 Allow Scaling

For encoding: Japanese (jis x0208-1983)
Variable Width Font: Fixed (Jis) Size 23.0
Fixed Width Font:    Fixed (Jis) Size 23.0

> See *documentFonts.shift_jis*psname or *documentFonts.euc-jp*psname in
> /usr/lib/netscape/476/netscape/Netscape.ad

I'm not really sure what that above means. But I will go look at that file for
any clues that can show me what I need to do to get Japanese fonts to print for
me.

> To print out using ghostscript, debian's gs package requires -dKANJI option
> to handle Japanese text.  If you run gs with LANG=ja_JP.eucJP, -dKANJI
> is automatically used.  So gs is used for lpr filter, you add -dKANJI option
> or run lpd with LANG=ja_JP.eucJP.

I use magicfilter. I just wonder what is the *least* intrusive way to solve this
problem. So that I can print both Japanese and English without having to switch
back and forth between two different commands... or having to stop and restart
lpd, etc.

Brock Lynn

--- End Message ---