Re: unofficial mozilla 0.8 deb

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:
> AFAIR, the new legislation said that companies could apply at the government
> for a permission to release specific versions of strong-crypto software to a
> world-wide public. I guess Netscape did this for their communicator and
> since the government gave the permission, anybody is now allowed to export
> this specific pieces of software, even though they contain strong crypto.
>
> [Then, it would be obvious that this reasoning doesn't necessarily apply to
> Mozilla--someone had to ask for a permission first.]

If this is true, how do they define a software product? One binary? A very
similar product? The same name?

However they define it, at some point in changing/forking it just becomes
another project and a new permission must be asked. How does this go along
with the DFSG? (Ie. code may be used and distributed if outside the US or
if the resulting product is sufficiently similar to the original
software...)

(Perhaps this should be discussed in -legal)

 /____\   Sampo Niskanen <=> sampo.niskanen@iki.fi  \
       \        http://www.iki.fi/sampo.niskanen     \