Re: ITP: lpr by GNU

hi

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 01:36:56PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > I would very much appreciate it if you packaged this. I was involved
> > in its development at VA and expected someone like shaleh or joeyh to
> > package it since it was a VA project. It seems you've beat them to the
> > punch.

joeyh had done some .debs of older versions ;
I have contacted him but to no success

> I talked with one of the people writing it and he said it wasn't
> ready for release yet, otherwise you would probably have seen a
> package already.

who did you talk to? I have talked to

Nick Moffitt, who said taht

"That may be a good idea.  I'd love to have an official Debian
release of this stuff, and I know the rest of the group would as well.
We'll have to discuss naming conventions, among other things.  Perhaps
it would be good to sign on to debian-mentor or debian-devel to
discuss policy."

and Ben Woodard, who was equally enthusiastic (btw, they both use Debian for
developing gnulpr)

Moreover , there is a phylosophical point:
there comes a stage of development (lets call it the "alpha" stage)
when developing stagnates a little, since the developers have a reaonably
working code, but not a wide base of people testing it. If
I package gnulpr and put it in unstable (and I will add a clear warning
saying that "this is alpha code", and do not freeze it)
then some users may start using
it and provide bugs and fixes. This has happened for other pieces
of code (actually there was a piece in slashdot or linuxjournal
that was stating this phenomenon, I think they were talking
about RedHat 7 shipping with a beta gcc)

of course gnulpr may not be ready for woody's release

bye

a.

--
A Mennucc
 "È un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Renato Carotone)