Re: Daemontools

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 06:41:10PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:15:20AM +1100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> > programs running under daemontools usually do so by having a directory
> > linked in /service (which should probably actually be /var/service, or
> > at least a link to it). this directory contains a shell script ('run').
> > at boot one runs svscan on [/var]/service which starts supervise on each
>
> Why not /etc/service?

I'm using /var/lib/svscan but I'm open to suggestions on this.  The directory
should only be holding symlinks, so it's pretty unimportant where it goes.

> > this probably makes it difficult to start/stop services from /etc/init.d
> > - perhaps it'd be better not to use svscan at all, and use init scripts
> > to start supervise manually on a given directory, and then start/stop
> > would use 'svc' to control the service. is this how it's done currently?

Yes, this is how it should be done.  That way, people can use familiar
/etc/init.d/package scripts to control the service instead of having to learn
daemontools.  (Not that daemontools is especially hard to learn, but most
people are lazy.)

--Adam