Re: Migration to Pentium?

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Harald Dunkel wrote:
> > Maybe you have seen the Stampede Linux distribution
> > (http://www.stampede.org/). They promise a speed improvement of
> > 10% - 30% compared to i386 binaries. I would like to get this from
> > Debian, too.
>
> I've *never* seen any proof of those claimed 10-30%.

Even if there isn't a generalspeedup, there's software that can be
compiled with support for 3Dnow! or MMX and there already packages like
libc6-i586 that are compiled optimized. I don't know if it's worth
compiling the whole distribution optimized, but at least for some packages
it is worth it.

> Wichert.

cu,
Adrian