Re: NM Queue: Policy Discussion

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 10:40:32AM -0500, Warren Stramiello wrote:
> Debian is democratic, and needs clear rules and
> transparent procedures to remain so.

For reference, I think that statement is mistaken on both counts:
democracies, representative or otherwise tend to organise themselves by
votes on issues.  A quick glance at recent history and you'll notice
how poor a fit that is with Debian, where our attempts to decide
an issue by vote tend to both be the exception to the rule, and die
horribly. Additionally, clear rules and transparent procedures tend to be
best applied to computers, not humans. We have judgement, some of us even
have good judgement, it would be a huge mistake to disallow use of it.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''
                       -- linux.conf.au, 17-20 January 2001