Re: (long reply) Re: NM saga (all of it - Joey, this means you)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Craig Sanders wrote:

> we have hundreds of developers. in fact, we have hundreds who have been
> around for several years, more than long enough to establish whether
> they are trustworthy or not. we should call for volunteers and choose or
> elect half-a-dozen or so to do the job.

Just so everyone is on the same page here, DAM effectively gives root to
every debian.org computer, and some others too.

I'm not giving that to people who are elected, or otherwise selected
without the rigorous approval of the current DAM, and the current
Debian-Admin.

In fact, historically, 'DAM' is a subset of Debian-Admin, and is probably
the highest bureaucratic post any developer can hold. IMHO it cannot be an
elected position.

It is conceivable to create a new class of people who are not DAM but, are
at the end of the new-maintainer pipe. These folks would not have root,
just the ability to create accounts. But just building, securing and
testing the software to do that would take months.

As for the notion that there is a wealth of people who can do this job..
It has been my observation that generally the longer someone is in Debian
the less time they have for Debian.

Jason