Re: problems managing package with CVS

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 12:36:46PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> This is what I thought should happen (why is this not the case?):
>
> 1. when you import the new upstream version into CVS, cvs realizes that
> certain files are missing from the "source-dist" branch, and marks
> them as deleted, for the "source-dist" branch.

I don't know if this actually happens or not.  After I run the
commands to merge the old stuff into the new stuff, cvs happily adds
any new files from the new sources, and also adds any files that used
to be in the old sources as well.  At least, this is the behavior I am
seeing.  I guess what it boils down to is whether or not I can expect
cvs to merge in files that I added that aren't in the source-dist
branch, such as debian/rules, etc, but leave out files that used to be
in source-dist but aren't anymore.  If I can expect this of cvs, maybe
I imported the original sources incorrectly or something.

> 2. when you type in:
>     Chris> cvs checkout -jsource-dist:yesterday -jsource-dist
>     Chris> <package>
>
> as cvs uses the files from the source-dist branch for the files on the
> main branch (unless you changed the file, in which case it will use
> the main branch and won't work[1]), it should automatically add/remove
> any files as required. (hope that makes sense!)

I thought so too, but I don't think this is happening.

> However, cvs-upgrade, from the "cvs-buildpackage" package recommends
> that you:
>
> echo "# Don't forget cvs-co-upgrade $cvsmodule <OLD-VERSION> $upstream_version"
>
> while I was maintaining heimdal using cvs, I could never work out why
> this step was required, but basically (I think) it runs "cvs add" and
> "cvs remove" on any new and old files (it compares the tar.gz files).

I didn't use this utility when doing the upgrade.  Maybe cvs will
merge the old & new sources using the ?greatest? common denominator,
and it is up to the user to delete the cruft.  Maybe this is what
cvs-co-upgrade buys us.

> Note:
> [1] if you did change the file, the info documentation recommends using
> "cvs admin -bsource-dist" to revert back to the upstream branch.

Now you've lost me.
--
Chris Ruffin <cmruffin@debian.org>