Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 09:20:38PM +0100, Jean-loup Gailly wrote:
> I am "upstream" and I do want to make gzip rsync-friendly by default
> (without even a --rsync option) since the cost in compression ratio
> is negligible.

This patch keeps getting more and more interesting! Up to now, based
on the short description by Martijn van Oosterhout, I was under the
impression that "rsyncability" was only possible if the compressed old
version of the data was still available. However, the above remark
sounds to me as if it can be achieved even without that.

Just how does it work, pray tell?
Is the patch and/or a more detailed description available somewhere?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer                      | CS student at the Technische
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net                   | Universität München, Germany
  ¯ ´` ¯