Kernel Sends 7E ?

I'm not sure if this would be the correct List to post a question such was this. but.

we use Linux as the server on a Embedded DOS client-server environment.
the devices running embedded Initiate a communication with the Linux server. Our Daemon on the Linux box responds with
a single packet containing the Transaction information. directly after that packet the Linux box sends a packet containing , 8 bytes,
( in hex ) " 7E".

The Embed DOS interprets this as a response from our daemon, resulting in a miscommunication.
We are positive that our daemon is not sending the "7E" 's We believe that it's originating from the Kernel.....

Anyone encountered this before ?
Any Direction or Thoughts would be greatly Appreciated.
This has been a Communiqué from
his Imperial Majesty Admiral Thrawn.
derrick@carmike.com