Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

     > There was a few discussions on the rsync mailing lists about
     > how to handle compressed files, specifically .debs I'd like to
     > see some way of handling it better, but I don't think it'll
     > happen at the rsync end. Reasons include higher server cpu load
     > to (de)compress every file that is transferred and problems
     > related to different compression rates.  see this links for
     > more info
     > http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/1999-October/001403.html

Did you read my proposal a few days back? That should do the trick,
works without unpacking on the server side and actually reduces the
load on the server, because it then can cache the checksum,
i.e. calculate them once and reuse them every time.

MfG
        Goswin