Re: Obsolete software in /usr/local

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 03:49:07PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> I've been meaning to bring this up for a while:
> Why on earth was this change ever made?

I can't speak for whoever made the change, but I suspect that it is
because LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be used to support libraries in /usr/local/lib
for programs in /usr/local/bin without messing up anything that ships with
Debian.  Otherwise, there exists the possibility that the wrong library
will be used.  This is especially of concern for developers, who may be
putting things in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib to test before
releasing a package.  We would not want their local libraries to be linked
in official Debian packages.

In any event, looking in bugs.debian.org for the old bug that this change
closed might give you more info than this rough guess.

Ben