Re: What to do about /etc/debian_version

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> > So: Is there a *technical* reason to change /etc/debian_version other
> > than it being just "nicer"?
>
> This information could instead be stored in /etc/lsb-release. One of
> the reasons for the creation of this file was to standardise across
> the distributions the name and format of the file which contains this
> type of information.

Interesting. Is that file in /etc because of it being a static,
non-shareable file (like /etc/debian_version), or it is also meant to
be changed by the sysadmin? Could you point me to the specs for that
file? (i.e. something that tells me what should be its contents for
Debian 2.2 and for Debian woody/sid).

Thanks.