Re: Latest Mandrake

"Eray Ozkural (exa)" wrote:

> I saw the latest beta of Mandarake last week, and I think it
> surpasses Debian in terms of usability. The thing uses GRUB
> for bootloading and gnome/kde has been nicely integrated
> into their config tools. They use that drakconfig thing (which
> looks like a linuxconfig frontend.. correct me if I'm wrong)
> that works surprisingly well. Internationalization stuff works
> all right everywhere, in gnome or on console flawlessly. I was
> going to say "Why don't you use Debian?" but for a long moment I
> thought "All right, we suck". What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
Hi

I've been around the Debian distro as a user for more than 2 years now.
The problem I see right now is that even tough Debian has a better
config
structure and a lot of "helper" packages to deal with this ,there isn't
a centralized program (let's say sysconfig) that will do it on a
centralized
manner .This and the requirements of the installer (not for a regular
computer user) made Debian what is today:a great distro used only by
people really
familiar with Linux/Unix or by people who want tot learn about Linux
-what better
way to learn than bang your head against the wall when something doesn't
work(thinking unstable here).
Altough this thread appears on a regularly basis on debian-devel under
one name
or another as far I can see the general mass of developers and users
seems to be
pretty comfortable with this situation and I have yet to see a real
project inside
of Debian that will deal with this situation -mostly because of the
specifics of Debian. Face it,right now as a user desktop Debian is
playing catch-up will all major distros(and moer minor ones) despite
it's superior architecture.
 So unless a project will be started to make Debian more user friendly
things
will remain as they are.The real question here is :Does the Debian
community
want to change a bit it's way or everybody is quite happy with the
things as they are ?

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta