Re: cleaning up our task packages

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 09:09:35PM +0200, Arto Jantunen wrote:
>       * A tree-like view (not exactly like aptitude, I don't like cruising
>         through dozens of treenodes that all have two subnodes)

To build a tree, you need special tags on packages to place them into a
tree, and a rules to build a tree view from tags. Or even better, to
build different views depending on your needs.

And do not put the burden of tagging packages on every maintainer, they
will simply ignore you in best case, or produce inconsistent results in
the worst.

It is too late, I'm hungry and have no idea how to organize all possible
package tags like 'editor', 'devel-tool', 'devel-lib', 'office', 'mail',
'web', 'server' into tag categories/tree levels; neither how to maintain
these tags. Maybe tomorrow..

> I was thinking of calling this either aselect, or apt-select (I prefer
> aselect. It's shorter ;)

Why not adding this to dselect as an alternative package selection mode
like --tree? There are some reasons behind why dselect still is better
than it's alternatives.