Re: [humourous interjection] Re: long term goals of debian membership

[ i know this is off-topic but i can't help replying ]

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 10:12:05PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> That's funny. The place where I worked under a union would only allow
> overtime pay if it was approved, otherwise you still had to work
> overtime, but at normal pay. Plus I had to work holiday's and some
> night shift.
>
> All of the places I worked where there was no union have great
> benfits. In fact the place I work for now allows me to telecommute,
> with very flexible hours. Plus they pay my mileage when I do have to
> go into the office! You tell me, how are non-union companies screwing
> folks?

Ben, you're part of the technological elite, you're a highly qualified
and skilled computer programmer & technician with many years of
experience. you're also working in an industry where the demand for
skilled labour far exceeds the supply. that means, unlike most of the
workers in the world, you've actually got some bargaining power when it
comes to negotiating job conditions.

fortunately for me, i'm also part of that same "elite"...which makes me
happy, i don't like having to put up with shit from employers.

our skills are in demand enough that we can pretty much demand whatever
conditions and remuneration we like. we're better off negotiating
individually than making a collective bargain via a union.

the vast majority of people in the world don't have such priviledged
positions in life, they don't have any individual bargaining power.
what's good for you and me is lousy for them. the only bargaining power
they can get is through solidarity with others in the same boat.

craig

--
craig sanders