Re: [OT!] Replacing hacked binaries

On 2000-12-02 04:21, Chad Miller wrote:
>Having seemingly badmouthed this proposal, let me say I support it.
>Checksums _are_ useful if one thinks that on a trusted system, the
>packaging is borken by some (e.g.) ex-slackware admin.  It's poison,
>otherwise.

I've just had my root system moderately corrupted.  I had to boot from
another file system to run the fsck.  I could really use some sort of
checksum method to make sure that my files aren't corrupt or missing.

It was particularly unfortunate that my kernel started panicing while dselect
was installing packages...