Re: long term goals of debian membership

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > How many packages did you have when you became a DD?
>
> None. I'll admit, looking back, I should have been more active before
> being allowed to become a maintainer. Honestly I was so big headed at the
> time that I actually nominated my self for DPL after only being in the
> project for 2 whole months. I was innexperienced, and unready for the
> work.

And look what debian would ultimately have lost if someone had just told
you to shove off and somehow kept you out of the project.

> If the person doesn't need an @debian.org address, and they don't need
> access to Debian systems, then they don't need to be a developer. If all
> they want to do is send patches, file bugs, or just maintaine one package
> of a program they author, then they don't really need to be a Debian
> developer.

How are they supposed to maintain any packages, regardless of who authored
them, if they can't upload fixes to those packages?  Do everything through
a sponsor?  Neither of the people who were at various points going to
sponsor my packages ever made an upload.  I have no gripe, they were
presumably busy, so I waited until I made it through NM and did it myself.

If I am supposed to feel guilty that one of the two packages I maintain is
my own program, well, I don't.

Britton