Re: ITP: ripperx -- a GTK-based cdparanoia/mp3 encoder frontend

Josh Huber wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 10:03:02PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> > Package: wnpp
> > Severity: wishlist
> >
> > Package: ripperx
> >  can rip and encode in parallel and has plugins for cdparanoia, BladeEnc,
> >  Lame, GoGo, FHG (l3enc and mp3enc), XingMp3enc, 8hz-mp3, and the ISO
> >  encoder. It also has support for CDDB and ID3 tags.
> >
> > This package is admittedly a lot like grip, but IMO is much nicer.  It's
> > slated for main since you don't actually have to have an encoder with it
> > for it to be useful; you can rip audio to .wav using the cdparanoia
> > plugin.
>
> Perhaps you could do what abcde did, and have it use vorbis by
> default, since it's free? (vorbis-tools package)

  last time I've heard vorbis is not ready yet, I don't remember
details, there was something about what needs to be done for vorbis to
be the same quality as mp3. that was the position of vorbis developers.
what's the state of vorbis now?

  btw: does ripper has at least as flexible way to specify
directories/filenames of encoded files? that'a my favourite feature of
grip (as compared to abcde and some windows ripper/encoder)

	erik