Re: Woody Progress

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 04:45:10PM -0500, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Richard Taylor wrote:
>
> > Also, those of us who read the lists understand what the reasons are, and
> > to my mind, they were sound, but up until recently, the `man on the street'
> > still sees us as the last distro to not have KDE.
>
> On a tangent, we'd need a newer gcc to have KDE on Alpha right now.  I've
> been working on a patch for gcc, but haven't had the time this week.  I'm
> anxious to see what SuSE did for this, since they claim to have KDE in 7.0
> for Alpha.  In fact, any patch they have for that should also fix any C++
> multiple-inheritence code generation bugs for Alpha (read: mozilla).

I was completely unaware of this and it changes my viewpoint somewhat - I am
of the opinion that all archs should be created equal.

> > He doesnt care about ideology, and while right has won out in the end, it
> > has set our public image back somewhat.
>
> My personal opinion is that Debian brings advantages that would make any
> KDE-wanting user think really hard about switching distributions, even if
> others have KDE in a release first.  I wouldn't doubt that some folks have
> already switched to "one of the others" over a desktop environment like
> KDE, but I would still postulate that most Debian users are probably
> willing to wait, will ask where to find KDE packages for potato, or would
> compile it themselves if they wanted it.
>
> I hope I'm not sounding nasty (not my intent) and I believe that we all
> understand the point of your email.  I just think that we have bigger
> issues relating to release criteria than to worry about "the KDE
> factor" :-)

Oh yeah, I mean, I just used KDE as an example, I use KDE myself, sometimes,
so it was an easy choice to pick. There are others... I don't see it as being
all about KDE, I mean, GNOME would be more the Debian kind of default desktop,
seeing as Debian is the `poster child' for free software.
I just want to see a slightly shorter release cycle, because while I will soon
start using woody full-time, once I'm sure that XF86 is stable enough, not
everyone wants to use a system that is dubbed `unstable'

> PS.  I believe that there's an effort to get KDE packages into a point
> release for potato.  Correct me if I'm wrong about this...
IIRC, you are correct. Now did I also hear that XF86 4 is also planned
for a potato point release? Surely not... cool if it was though!