Re: Some ideas to improve the debian policy

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 06:07:29PM -0300, Pablo De Napoli wrote:
> * Pack the static versions of a library on a separate package.
> * When there several versions the documentation (html,postscript,info)
> pack eack of them on a separate package.

The general consensus is that we should avoid multiplying packages
needlessly. Space considerations are more of a worry on the servers
than most personal computers. IIRC, the ability to tell apt not
to install arbitrary files and directories is the accepted proposal -
I don't know if anyone is actually working on it, though.

> * When writing a /debian/rules file , think of the user that (like myself)
> prefer to download the source and build the binaries from the source.

Too much work for too little gain. Individual mainainers might want to do
this for their packages, but most won't. Why would you do that on a regular
basis? You don't have to install from source just because you download the
source.

> * When installing the mo files for language translations (in
> /usr/share/locale) let the user choose which languages he wants
> (thought some environment variable ?)
>
> If I don't speak german , why do I need the german translations ?. They
> are just using disk space.

Big arguments on this one. The generally accepted solution is for the
user to use a version of apt with the (not as of yet written) ability
to exclude files, and arbitrarily exclude any unwanted translations.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org