Living on Unstable (was: Re: task-kde broken)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Petr Cech wrote:

> > Why did packages sent LATER to incoming arrive EARLIER?

> because they where not new perhaps?

I don't know.  That's what I'm asking.  :)

> > To my previous question, I received the reply, "it's in incoming."
> > I've asked how to get it from incoming, but received little to
>
> incoming.debian.org.

Yes.  That doesn't help me actually _get_ them, though.  Unfortunately,
I've found this to be a trend in Debian.  Developers _assume_ all
the users know as much as they do.  That's just not the case.  I
consider myself a fairly saavy Linux and Debian user.  I still have
problems finding documentation, however.

> And if you did search on www.debian.org/search enter incoming and the
> first match is what you're looking for

The search works?!?  Since when?

I honestly didn't try it because it's been broken for _so_ long
(over a year, at least).  My mistake, and I apologize.

This should help with finding documentation.  Good!  :)

> > > If you can't handle unstable, don't live on unstable.
> >
> > Yes, that's right.  Because bug reports aren't wanted, I guess.
>
> <snip>my unpublishable comment on this</snip>

You can send me a private mail if you'd like.  :)

I'll admit to being extremely frustrated with the "if you can't
handle unstable...," comment, ESPECIALLY coming from a developer
who has stated that bug reports for XF4 are unwanted, even given
the many messages on this list about confusing packaging.  XF4
wasn't really an issue for me because I eventually figured it
out.  Others haven't been so lucky.  It irks me that these people
are being disregarded as "clueless" and "hysterical."

<soapbox>
It's like saying, "if you don't like the country, move."  No, thanks.
I'll stay and HELP MAKE IT BETTER.
</soapbox>

I overreacted a bit, and I apologize.  I didn't expect to have
kdm/XF4 problems, and when I did, I naturally tried to upgrade
kde.  I can't, and it's frustrating.  I apologize for getting
a little hot, but I think the core of my message is still valid.

                                     -Dave