Another solution (was Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...)

> I don't understand this.  Isn't the point of versioning so that you can
> request the library with the proper ABI?  If you leave the old libnss_*
> files on disk, why doesn't the running daemon --- with the old libc mapped
> --- cause the old NSS modules to be loaded?

Because modules are loaded from disk, not memory.

This brings up a good possible solution. Daemons can be required to link
to the static nss libs, assuming I compile that into the -dev package.
This means the modules would be static in the binary, and this breakage
would not occur.

How about programs like this link with -lnss_compat? This would solve the
problem by not requiring a restart at all, and keeping atleast standard
name services working (maybe it needs -lnss_files -lnss_dns and -lnss_db,
but that can be debated if this is initially acceptable).

Ben