Re: Problems with mail system? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

In article <[🔎] 20000907005507.F25767@debian.org>,
Joseph Carter  <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:37:55PM -0400, cfm@maine.com wrote:
>> yes.  get an ISP that can do reverse DNS.  YEESHHH!  I'll happily bounce
>> their mail until then.
>
>Are you willing to pay the difference between the cost of that user's
>current ISP and one which meets your standard?  Until then, you have
>absolutely no right to tell someone what ISP they should use.
>For some, the option of getting another ISP is unaffordable or even
>impossible in some regions of the world.  This is sometimes true even in
>the US, especially if you require more than a modem connection.

A server on the 'net without matching forward/reverse DNS is broken.
Period.

What if someones ISP drops 50% of all messages. Should the Debian
mailinglist servers simply send all messages 4 times so that the
chance is bigger of the recipient actually getting the message?
Ofcourse not, because the ISP should fix the mailserver instead
since it is broken.

The DNS issue is *exactly* the same. The fact that it happens to work
some or even most of the time doesn't make it less broken.

Mike.