Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 10:27:22AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Branden> Of course.  The obvious answer is that programs that have
>  Branden> some utility to unprivileged users should go in /bin (or
>  Branden> /usr/bin).
>
> 	The problem with that is that it is all so very subjective,
>  and it all depends on the ``unprivileged user''. Under this tacit
>  policy, there is unlikely to be a solution that satisfies
>  anyone. Indeed, a more workable criteria may be to put things in sbin
>  that _require_ priviledges (things like mount, fsck, etc), and say
>  that sbin contains programs that are useless to the unpriviledged
>  user.
>
> 	I think that would be way less controversial.

Fine with me; either interpretation would get traceroute into (/usr)?/bin.

Actually, I disagree with your example of mount.  It's quite handy even
without privileges.  It tells me what's mounted.  Same with ifconfig, it
tells you what interfaces are up and doesn't need privileges to do so.

On the other hand, fsck seems to be a good example of a program that can't
do much for the unprivileged user.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is a
Debian GNU/Linux                |    growing closer.  It beats the hell out