Re: potato missing /dev's

Ah, I thought the only arguments for MAKEDEV were -d
or -v (from looking at the script).  If I looked
harder I might have figured out that it needed a
device class argument.  I seem to remember in slink
there being a script that blindly build EVERYTHING.
Also I couldn't find a man page for MAKEDEV, but I
forgot that it was CASE SENSITIVE.  (whose idea was it
to name the script in upper case anyway? :->).  Oh
well, I did manage to get the devices built the
hardway, by issuing the proper low level commands.
But I will look at MAKEDEV again on monday and verify
that it will work with required arguments.

On another subject, alot of the gnome programs and
utilites by default try and open /dev/dsp assuming
that you have a sound card in your computer.  In the
computer I am running potato on I DON'T have a sound
card.  I may be in the minority (hey this computer is
in my office and speakers are frowned upon here :-( ).
 Maybe there could be a way for gnome to figure out
that sound is not available and to not try to use it.
Granted the error messages are harmless, but look bad
(especally when someone else is looking over my
shoulder and sees it.  Gives those MS boosters some
more amo to throw at linux).

--- Brian Servis <bservis@egl.net> wrote:
> > I compiled the kernel with support for ftape.
> Only
> > there are no devices in /dev for ftape (/dev/qft0,
> > /dev/nqft0, /dev/mt0, /dev/nmt0 etc....)  The
> > /sbin/MAKEDEV script seems like it should build
> them,
> > but I tried running it without anything happening.
>

> > What am I missing....?
> >

> To create these devices you should do,
>
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV qic
>
> See 'man MAKEDEV' for more info AND look through the
> MAKEDEV script as
> it appears the man page does not detail all the
> devices that the 'qic'
> option makes.
>

> Brian Servis
> --