re: smarter install

>> 4. During the installation process a kernel will be
>>compiled. This
>>kernel
>> includes some modules. If you later compile your
own >>kernel without
>>any
>> modules then you get you get warnings during the
>>boot process.
>> What can you do against this? A better
documentation >>in
>>kernel-package?

>I don't understand this one...  We don't compile
>kernels during the
>install process ...

I've seen this one and can explain.  When I installed
the stock kernel during install (the pre compiled one)
I ended up with most stuff being modules (lp, serial,
eth etc).  I then downloaded the kernel source
package, and the kernel-package package and compiled
my own kernel, only this time lp, serial , eth were
BUILT IN (not modules).  I then installed the new
kernel.deb that I just built.  Guess what.  The lp,
serial, and eth modules ARE STILL LISTED IN
/etc/modules.  BUT they don't exist anymore in
/lib/modules/2.2.whatever
So I get a message during boot, "can't find module
....".  It's harmless since the desired function is in
the kernel already, (but if for some reason the module
WAS found in /lib/modules/... and WAS also built into
the kernel, hmmmm not so good!

It seems that you MUST edit /etc/modules when you
install a new kernel, or run modconf again and clean
out the entries that don't exist anymore.

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....