AppStream: metainfo.xml files are not prioritized over desktop-files

Hello,

I couldn't find a mailing list dedicated to AppStream in Debian [1][2]. Feel free to redirect me if I missed one.

Debian's AppStream guidelines [3] telling me

"If you provide a metainfo file its information will be preferred over that in the .desktop file."

But after some tests (using "terminator" and "hexchat" installed on my Debian 12) I was not able to verify that. I modified the fields in the xml and desktop files. I used the original and the translated fields and added extra debug info to it.

Even after a full reboot the launcher icon in XFCE4 do show me the content of the desktop file and ignores the xml file in /usr/share/metainfo .

Any idea why it is that way?

But without surprise the "gnome-software" do show me the content from the xml file of course.

Thanks in advance
Christian
Upstream maintenance team of "backintime" [4]

[1] -- <https://appstream.debian.org/>
[2] -- <https://wiki.debian.org/AppStream>
[3] -- <https://wiki.debian.org/AppStream/Guidelines#Writing_a_metainfo_file>
[4] -- <https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/backintime>