Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

I don't really know why this is discussed here but I will add my two
cents to it also because it is.

I stuck with Debian even if the FSF (which I am a supporter of) doesn't
endorse it for the reason that it provides non-free options on its
servers. The important thing for me is that Debian stays free by
default.

Adding non-free software should at least come with a very clear
explanation that doing so means to lose the core freedoms. I don't mind
making it easier for people who don't know their way around yet. In my
opinion referring to a derivative distro with non-free sources like
Ubuntu would just work as well as providing a non-free option in Debian
directly.

Debian doesn't need to be everything for everyone. I went for Debian
when I started using GNU/Linux because it seemed to be the best de-
central implementation of the free software vision and the base for so
much else. There are many convenient options for people using hardware
that doesn't have free drivers yet.

In my opinion the Debian project doesn't need to include any non-free
software at all. There are plenty of projects doing exactly that
already and only very few take a firm stand when it comes to core
values the free software movement is build upon. The Debian project
could be the biggest beacon for freedom if it focused on doing the best
possible with what fully free software allows.