Re: smtube, youtube-dl and other apps that work with youtube

I think the proper Debian way to handle such tools, is to install them
from backports. youtube-dl from buster-backports is currently
up-to-date with upstream
https://packages.debian.org/buster-backports/youtube-dl.

Maybe debian-installer does not make it clear enough that enabling
backports is strongly recommended for desktop machines?

For smtube you would need to find a maintainer for a backported package.