Re: Desktop and debian for dummies and the vert elderly

Le 22/08/2020 à 18:49, guillaume philippe a écrit :
Hello debian developpers

I wanted to present to you 3 interesting French-speaking projects that are looking for dummies in computer science.

The first: ordissimo. https://www.ordissimo.fr/ <https://www.ordissimo.fr/>
It is a commercial enterprise that sells computers with a debian bone suitable for people in great difficulty with a computer. They created a bone derived from debian with a super simplified interface. (E17 desktop environnement) It might be interesting to fork this bone and offer it in open source and for free.

As you mention a business project, let me introduce the Hypra project: half users are more than 75 years, more than 1000 persons learnt using a computer and the INternet on this system. This system is simply a usable Debian out of the box on a pre-tested computer. The Hypra repos enable:
- to apply patches before Debian when useful
- choosing different software releases when updates introduce regression of accessibility - apply settings making more friendly the interface but not acceptable upstream or in Debian by the traditional community

The desktop is MATE, making Debian accessible for anyone, even disable eldery persons, eg. visual disable ones.

Second project: emmabüntus. https://emmabuntus.org/ <https://emmabuntus.org/> This os allows Emmaus communities and other integration companies to recondition old computers. He also works with associations that offer recovery computers in Togo. Third project: easy debian https://debian-facile.org/projets:iso-debian-facile <https://debian-facile.org/projets:iso-debian-facile> It is a website and it develops a simplified iso based on debian. In other simplified and handymenu documentation of the old handylinux distribution. If you find these projects interesting, I invite you to contribute if you have free time. Cordially. Guillaume

Unfortunately, such projects need just manpower, free or paid. The non-Web GUI skills are so rare, finding volunteers about it is nearly impossible for this specific target. All the more if not paid. Beyond the mainstream development, such persons need a universal-design approach, a global approach in the design, that is far from the master culture in the free software communities. If we do, yes, Debian can be used out of servers, on desktop, including disable and/or old persons. Needs mainly affect upstream, the Debian accessibility team makes a high work from the existing things.